In 1897, Herbert Tress established a legal practice in Pitt Street, Sydney. The Firm became Tress & Cocks in 1920 when George Cocks joined as a Partner. John Maddox also joined the Firm in 1920, becoming a Partner in 1929 but it wasn’t until 1935 that the Firm changed its name to Tress Cocks & Maddox.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr Cocks was a solicitor for the Government Savings Bank of New South Wales. It is not surprising then, that the Firm acted for the State Bank throughout the 1920s and 1930s.
The Firm has a long association with the Australian Medical Association (AMA) which dates back to 1897, when Herbert Tress acted for the NSW Branch of what was then known as the British Medical Association (BMA). John Maddox continued to advise the BMA for nearly 60 years and his relationship with the BMA, its evolution into the AMA, and the drafting of the Articles of Association for the Federal AMA was a significant part of the practice. The health industry is still a core business of the Firm and the AMA has remained a client.
Peter Thompson founded our entertainment practice in 1978, at a time when the sector was hardly recognised as an area of legal practice. The Firm now has one of the nation’s largest entertainment and media practices and has received many accolades.
By the 1980s the Firm had tripled in size and in the 1990s, Tress Cocks & Maddox opened two interstate offices. The Melbourne office was formed in 1992 with a strong commercial focus, and the Brisbane office opened in 1997 to service existing health sector clients. Since that time, the Brisbane office has achieved widespread recognition as one of Queensland’s premier health law practices and expanded into a range of other areas of law. The highly regarded Brisbane firm Macrossans Lawyers was incorporated into our Brisbane team in October 2012, and we moved into our new premises in Creek Street. In the same year we opened an office in Canberra as a result of our increasing Commonwealth Government client base. In May 2013, after more than 20 years at our King Street address, we moved our Sydney office to the iconic MLC Centre in Martin Place.
The Firm was rebranded in 2004 to what we know today as TressCox Lawyers. We have expanded into many other key sectors to reflect the needs of our clients and have an impressive track record in areas such as corporate and commercial, government, insurance, finance and financial services, litigation and dispute resolution.
Click here to read more