International clients are an important part of our practice - we provide a full range of legal expertise to clients establishing, maintaining or expanding business or investment activities in Australia.
We act for foreign-based companies as well as many Australian companies operating around the world. Our international clients come from a wide range of industries including manufacturing and service industries, technology, waste management, mining and resources, alternative energy production, finance, insurance, real estate and construction.
TressCox has a close association with many Chambers of Industry and Commerce and other government and private organisations that facilitate international business. These relationships give our clients access to relevant commercial contacts and networks. They also ensure that we are close to the issues that are important to our international clients. Our understanding of the way business works globally and our grasp of commercial realities across cultures as well as across borders means we are able to deliver realistic solutions to complex problems.
International organisations find Australia an attractive location in which to establish and operate businesses within the Asia-Pacific region, but the establishment process can be complex, expensive and logistically difficult if not managed with a proper understanding of the legal issues involved.
TressCox lawyers understand that the following considerations are critical:
- Establishing the simplest and most cost-effective legal structures
- Tax considerations
- Minimum capital requirements
- Ongoing obligations
- Employment and industrial relations framework
- Protection and use of intellectual property
- Availability of government concessions and how to benefit from them
- Drafting and application of trading terms
- Immigration, visas, citizenship and residency
We address these issues by:
- Providing access to lawyers who are fluent in a number of languages, including Japanese, Chinese, French and German, and who have an understanding of the business and legal systems in the Asian and European regions.
- Introducing clients to government agencies which provide investment support or incentive programs.
- Offering a full package of services, including legal compliance (eg corporate and tax regulations, visa and work permit requirements, product liability, managing legal and commercial risks) to the introduction to a network of services, even extending to assistance with quarantine for family pets.
- Encouraging and assisting clients to take advantage of Australia’s intellectual property protection schemes.
- Tapping into the national and international affiliations available to us through our membership of ALFA International (the premier association of law firms in the world currently comprising 135 independent member firms throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Australasia and Europe) and our extensive network of personal and professional contacts who are able to support our clients’ activities.
Registered Migration Agents
Australian law requires that immigration assistance may only be provided by a person who is registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA). Registered Agents at TressCox are:
- Philip Mitchell, Partner, MARN 9472015
- Rachel Drew, Partner, MARN 1175344
- Silke Koernicke, Special Counsel, MARN 0105495
All Registered Migration Agents are legally bound by a Code of Conduct. A copy of the Code is available via the MARA website:
The functions of a Notary Public include to draw up and authenticate documents, administer oaths, attest and witness execution of documents, verify copies of documents and note bills of exchange. Whilst most of these functions can be carried out by a Solicitor or Justice of the Peace, these are necessarily not recognised overseas whereas the majority of overseas countries will recognise a Notary Public.
Our clients frequently require the notarisation of documents for use in international business dealings. TressCox has four Notaries Public who can provide notarial skills as part of the overall service we offer our international clients.
TressCox Lawyers in conjuction with the other Australasian member firms of ALFA International are pleased to present an ALFA International - 'Doing Business in Australia' Frequently Asked Questions Guide, please click here to view it, and a ALFA International - 'Doing Business in New Zealand' Frequently Asked Questions Guide, please click here to view it and trust that they will be useful for those looking at doing business in Australia and New Zealand.
Click here to read more.