Pro Bono is an integral part of the philosophy of TressCox Lawyers. We are uniquely placed to protect human rights and to assist individuals who are, and organisations who assist, the disadvantaged and marginalised.
We actively seek to grow our pro bono practice and will help on a pro bono basis, subject to the requirements of our pro bono policy, for:
- Individuals who are disadvantaged or marginalised
- Not for profit organisations which assist disadvantaged or marginalised groups, and
- The public good in matters which raise issues of public interest or broad public concern.
As part of our commitment we are a member of, and receive referrals through clearing houses JusticeConnect (NSW & Vic) and the Queensland Public Interest Law Clearing House (QPILCH). These clearing houses are charitable organisations which assess and distribute a broad range of pro bono work to their member law firms. We take referrals from LawHelp, a service of the Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations and receive unsolicited calls from charitable and volunteer organisations based on our reputation in commercial and pro bono work. We also ask our Team Members to nominate organisations with which they have a connection or commitment for pro bono assistance and offer training and information to not for profit organisations.
We have appointed a dedicated Pro Bono team. Led by Partner Karen Keogh our Pro Bono team is committed to delivering legal services to disadvantaged and marginalised members of society in a cohesive and targeted manner. Other team contacts include:
If you wish to request pro bono assistance please contact us by sending Karen Keogh an email. Please note that TressCox does not act in litigation matters or in Family law disputes on a pro bono basis.
- Our Pro Bono Clients
Even though TressCox provides pro bono legal services to a wide range of clients, the Firm has a particular commitment to organisations with a health or disabilities focus, including:
- Aids Action Council of the ACT Inc
- AMA (NSW) Charitable Foundation
- AMA Queensland Foundation
- Australian Men's Health Forum
- Best Buddies Australia Limited
- Cancer Council NSW
- Caring 4 ASD Limited
- Cerebral Palsy Support Network
- Challenge – Supporting Kids with Cancer
- Congress of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Nurses and Midwives Ltd
- Disability Services Australia
- Doctors' Health Advisory Service (NSW) Inc
- Guide Dogs Queensland
- Lynch Syndrome Australia
- Medical Benevolent Association of NSW
- SpinalCure Australia
- St John of God Healthcare Inc (Accord)
- Sydney Hospital Hand Foundation
- Transplant Australia
- The Northcott Society
- Vision2020 The Right to Sight and
- Young Pink Sisters.
Our commitment to access to justice can be demonstrated by our support of:
- Self Representation Service before the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
- Self Representation Service at the Federal Court and Federal Circuit Court in Victoria and Queensland
- Public Interest Advocacy Centre and the
- Migrant Outreach Service Advice, Information, Community Education (MOSAIC) in NSW.
We support women in crisis through:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Women’s Legal Service NQ Inc
- Life Changing Experiences Foundation and
- Stepping Out Housing Program Inc.
We promote International Aid Projects through:
- Architects Without Frontiers
- Friends of Ludhiana Australia
- Palms Australia
- See Beyond Borders Foundation
- Send Hope
- Youth off the Streets Overseas Relief Fund and
- War Child Australia.
We pursue the public good in matters which raise issues of public interest by assisting:
- Arts Law Centre
- Australian Lawyers for Human Rights
- Brisbane Indigenous Media Association
- Fair Trade Association of Australia and New Zealand
- Farmlink Research Limited
- Melbourne Cabaret Festival
- Red Rattler Theatre
- Refugee and Immigration Legal Service Inc
- Support Act and
- Underwater Earth Inc.
- Our Pro Bono News & Events
- Related Areas