Meet Elaine Fabris, one of our Special Counsel
Contact & Expertise
Areas of expertiseContact Elaine
Elaine is a Special Counsel and works in the Melbourne Health Law Division with Partner, John Petts. She has a unique set of skills and expertise gained through working as a health lawyer and medical negligence litigator, as a doctor in general practice and in hospitals, and as a Sessional Member of the Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).
Her experience includes:
- Conduct of complex medical negligence litigation (such as catastrophic injury, birth asphyxia and ‘wrongful birth’ cases), coronial investigations and inquests, and complaints to the Health Services Commissioner.
- Advising hospitals and other organisations on a broad range of ‘medico-legal’ issues such as confidentiality, investigation of adverse clinical events, consent, and responding to subpoenas.
- Conduct of hearings in VCAT’s Guardianship, Civil Claims and Residential Tenancies Lists.
- Sitting as a panel member hearing disciplinary matters involving doctors in VCAT’s Review and Regulation List.
- Advising blood services on legal and risk management issues, particularly in relation to transfusion transmitted diseases.
- Advising on legal and insurance issues relating to clinical research trials.
Elaine is the immediate past President of the Medico Legal Society of Victoria and a member of the Joint Medico-Legal Standing Committee of Law Institute of Victoria, Victorian Bar and Australian Medical Association. She is also fluent in Italian.